Car rentals in Istanbul: All you need to know
You want a great vehicle to get around Istanbul whether you're traveling for a business or pleasure. See the top sites around the city and park in front of the popular restaurants in Istanbul. CarRentals.com has collected the most frequently asked questions about car rentals in Istanbul. Read on to discover how to get the best rates on your ideal vehicle.
Where can I find a bargain rental car in Istanbul?
You're on your way to getting the best deal on your car rental by going through us. But, you can try to do a few things to keep your next rental affordable. Be sure to:
- Compare and contrast all the deals available
- Book as far in advance as possible. You will usually save more and get the car of your choice
- Educate yourself on any cost for fuel policy, additional drivers, and mileage limits. That way you can make sure you know the true cost before you rent
- Don't rent more vehicle than you need. Commonly, the smaller the car, the cheaper the rate
Even a little rental car know-how can go a long way to getting you the most savings.
What rental companies have outlets in Istanbul?
We have around 17 car rental providers in the Istanbul area. You'll find well-known companies like Avis and Enterprise and wallet-friendly suppliers like Dollar and Thrifty. Read through the reviews to help you figure out which one meets your needs.
What types and makes of rental cars are on offer in Istanbul?
That depends on how many people you are traveling with and what activities you want to do in Istanbul. If you're having difficulty picking the right car, make sure to go over the table below. We have compared the most popular vehicle categories for you:
How old do you have to be to rent a car in Istanbul?
Typically, to rent a car in Istanbul you must be at least 21—the same as it is across the rest of the country. However, you might need to pay a surcharge if you're under 25. Be sure to go over the supplier's terms to figure out what the total is before you book your rental.
Will I need insurance to get a car rental in Istanbul?
When cruising through Istanbul or the rest of Turkey, you'll need insurance. Almost every supplier needs proof of insurance before you rent a car. Many countries require the driver to have insurance. You may be able to purchase temporary insurance with the rental agency.
Many major card issuers, like MasterCard or Visa, give some insurance on your rental, however, there are usually restrictions. For example, they may not cover your rental car if you reserve a luxury or larger vehicle. Check the rental car company's policy before you decide.
What are the different fuel policies?
Most suppliers allow you to choose which policy you want. Below is a list of the most common ones.
You will have to search for a gas station near the drop-off location
What fuel policy should I get?
We usually recommend that customers choose the full-to-full policy. This policy is the most straightforward, and you simply top off the tank before you bring it back.
Should I get unlimited miles when I rent a car in Istanbul?
Unlimited miles is a good choice if you plan to do a bit of sightseeing or visit a lot of clients all over Istanbul. You can cruise as much as you want without incurring extra charges. Make sure to read your rental agreement to see if there are any restrictions.
What are some things to do in Istanbul?
There is tons to see and do in this city. Istanbul has around 15 attractions that it is known for. Some of the most popular are:
- SÃ¼leymaniye Mosque (SÃ¼leymaniye Camii)
- Hagia Sophia Museum (Ayasofya MÃ¼zesi)
- DolmanbahÃ§e Palace
Luckily, you can cruise to whichever one you want or visit them all.
Before you drive off
Before you get going on your Istanbul vacation, check a few things prior to leaving the car rental lot. It's worth the time to:
- Check out the vehicle and be certain there is no dents or scratches. If you notice any, write it down on the paperwork
- Make you have a properly inflated spare tire, lug wrench, and jack in the trunk
- Get familiar with the controls of your car. Adjust the mirrors and seats to your liking, and figure out how to turn on the lights and windshield wipers
- Get comfortable working the entertainment and GPS (if available). It's best to limit any unneeded distractions when you are navigating a new region
Book your Istanbul rental car today
Maybe you're traveling solo, maybe you're bringing your partner or kids, or maybe you're carpooling with co-workers to and from the hotel to the conference center. No matter who you're traveling with, CarRentals.com has a rental car that can fit your needs and not break the bank.