From the vast, emerald sprawl of Stanley Park to the out-of-this-world exhibits at the HR MacMillan Space Centre, Vancouver has so much for visitors to discover. Having your own rental car will make it easy to get around the Rain City and pack in plenty of adventures, no matter how short your stay is.
How can I get a cheap car rental in Vancouver?
With cost-effective car rentals in Vancouver you’ll soon be exploring every part of the Rain City. To be sure of bagging a cheap deal, try to:
- - Compare the rates offered by different rental companies;
- - Avoid airport pick-ups, which can be more costly;
- - Only add 1 driver for the car;
- - Book well in advance.
Which car rental companies are situated in Vancouver?
This is one of Canada’s major cities, so you won’t be surprised to know a whole array of big-name car rental companies are here, from Alamo to Enterprise to Avis. You could also go with a smaller, regional firm instead. Either way, do check online reviews when deciding.
What kind of car should I get in Vancouver, British Columbia?
This depends on how large your party is and what’s on your Vancouver agenda. Just here for a few days with a partner or friend? An economy car will let you see the sights without breaking the bank. If there’s a larger group of you, or you’re looking to get out and explore more of BC, then it may be worth getting a minivan or SUV instead.
How old do I have to be to rent a car in Vancouver?
The minimum age for renting a car is generally 21. An extra charge may be applied if you’re under 25.
What do I have to keep in mind when renting a car in Vancouver?
If you’re thinking of an epic road trip, bear in mind that some rental companies may have restrictions on traveling to areas like Yukon, or the United States, in their rental cars. Check beforehand if you’re in doubt.
Do I need insurance to rent a car in Vancouver?
You will need insurance for using a car rental in Vancouver. What you need to do is check if your current car insurance or credit card insurance policies cover rentals. Then, you can decide whether you need to purchase a relevant policy from CarRentals.com or the rental company itself.
What fuel policy is available in Vancouver?
Very often, your vehicle will come with a full-to-full fuel policy, which means you’ll drive away with a full tank of gas, and just need to remember to fill it back up again before returning. If you forget, you’ll have to pay an extra charge.
Can I book with unlimited mileage when renting a car in Vancouver, British Columbia?
It’s worth taking a moment to estimate how much you expect to use your rental car when visiting Vancouver. If your agenda includes a road trip or 2, you should check whether unlimited mileage is available, as that will save you cash when you’re here.
Is it possible to hire a car one-way in Vancouver?
If it works better for you to drop your car off at a different branch from where you picked it up, check with the rental company to see if that’s feasible, and if there’s an added cost involved.
3 sights that you cannot miss in Vancouver
The maritime city of Vancouver is one of Canada’s urban jewels, and having your own rental car will give you the freedom to see as much as you like. Try these 3 hotspots:
- - Stanley Park is a stand-out part of Vancouver, featuring hectares of rainforest, scenic trails, sweeping beaches, and family-friendly attractions like the dreamy Vancouver Aquarium.
- - Get a soaring, bird’s eye view of this famous city by taking a trip up the glass elevator to the Vancouver Lookout, a UFO-shaped observation deck which provides panoramic views of the city skyline and sparkling harbor.
- - Take a trip out of this world at the HR Macmillan Space Centre, where the huge planetarium will thrust you past meteors and black holes, while the huge telescope will let you bring out your inner astronomer.
3 great road trips from Vancouver, British Columbia
Vancouver isn’t just a fantastic city break destination – it’s also a gateway to other must-see areas in British Columbia. Here are 3 you can visit with your rental car:
- - Less than 20 miles from Vancouver is Bowen Island, a haven for water sports lovers with its bays, beaches, and opportunities to go swimming and kayaking, before checking out the art galleries and eateries.
- - Around 40 minutes by car from central Vancouver is the rugged realm of Mount Seymour Provincial Park, a perfect place to go birding, hiking, and picnicking, with skiing and snowboarding also on the agenda in the winter months.
- - Another area to check out 40 minutes from Vancouver is Maple Ridge, a forest-fringed community by the Fraser River where you can meet costumed storytellers and encounter BC heritage at Fort Langley National Historic Site, or head over to the tranquil waters of Alouette Lake.
What is parking like in Vancouver?
Vancouver is a busy city, and it can be worth your while to research parking spots in the areas you intend to visit. Garage parking is available throughout, while if you’re planning to park on the street then it’s important to check time restrictions and meter rates to avoid getting a ticket.
With so much to see and do in Vancouver, don’t waste a moment. Book your rental car through CarRentals.com and you can look forward to cruising the scenic roads of British Columbia, and enjoying views of the sun-dappled bay as well as the big city.