There is something for everyone in beautiful San Diego, whether it’s museum hopping or soaking up the sun on one of the city’s glorious beaches. But when you plan your trip to this SoCal city, you’ll probably want to find a cheap car rental, so you have more cash for attractions.
How can I get a cheap car rental in San Diego?
Avoid paying too much for a rental car by following these four simple steps:
- - Search and compare different offers;
- - Choose a non-airport pick-up location;
- - Know prior to booking how much fuel and mileage you need;
- - Reserve your rental as early as possible.
Which car rental companies are situated in San Diego?
You’ll find great deals from the big-name rental companies like Sixt, Hertz, and Alamo, but it’s also worth checking out those on offer by the smaller, regional companies, too.
What kind of car should I get in San Diego, California?
San Diego combines the interests of every member of the family into one beautiful location, so the type of car you decide to rent will depend on what you plan to get up to.
If you’re taking the whole family to LEGOLAND® or San Diego Zoo, a larger vehicle such as an SUV or a minivan might be your best bet. If you’re a history lover or have an interest in colorful works of art, you might want to opt for a smaller economy rental to visit the U.S.S. Midway or the city’s numerous museums and galleries.
How old do I have to be to rent a car in San Diego?
You must be 21 years old to rent a car, and those under 25 may need to pay a surcharge, too.
Do I need insurance to rent a car in San Diego, CA?
Yes, you will need insurance for your rental. US citizens can purchase insurance from CarRentals.com or directly from the company, but it’s worth checking if your own car or credit card insurance covers you for car rental first.
What fuel policy is available in San Diego?
Full-to-full fuel policies are commonplace, so you pick up and drop off the vehicle with a full tank of fuel. Don’t forget to refill on your way back!
Can I book with unlimited mileage when renting a car in San Diego, California?
Yes. With unlimited mileage, last-minute road trips are no problem! With limited mileage, you could end up paying additional costs if you cover too many miles, so make sure you plan your journeys in advance.
Is it possible to hire a car one-way in San Diego?
Yes, though this sometimes incurs an extra fee. Contact your rental company for their terms and conditions.
3 sights that you cannot miss in San Diego
There are tons of beautiful things to see in San Diego. Here are some of the top attractions in the city:
- - Balboa Park – Constructed to impress visitors attending the 1915 Panama California Exhibition, this exquisite park is still a wonder to behold. Home to dozens of museums, gardens, and a famous lily pond, it’s one of the most scenic places in the city.
- - San Diego Zoo – It’s one of the largest and most famous zoos in the world. Keep your eyes open for hundreds of animals, including cuddly pandas.
- - The beaches – It’s not a SoCal vacation without a day at the beach! Drive your San Diego car rental to popular choices like Mission Beach, La Jolla Cove, and Coronado Beach.
3 great road trips from San Diego, California
Why not leave the city for a couple of days and check out what San Diego’s surrounding areas have to offer? Our favorite road trip destinations include:
- - Catalina Island is two-hour drive from San Diego, and has plenty to offer in the way of activities. You can snorkel or scuba dive, take a ride on a glass-bottomed boat, or just lie under the sun on the beach;
- - Just 2.5 hours in the car and you’ll arrive at Big Bear, Southern California’s largest recreation lake. It’s a stunning location with opportunities to hike and camp in the summer, and ski during the winter;
- - Santa Barbara is a truly picturesque city located 3.5 hours by car from San Diego. It’s the perfect getaway if you want to get outdoors, taste delicious food and wine, and wander around the shops.
What is parking like in San Diego?
There are several parking lots in the city where you can safely leave your rental, as well as plenty of off-street parking in downtown San Diego. Popular parking locations include the Convention Center, the San Diego Zoo and the Gaslamp Quarter.
When you rent a car in America’s Finest City, the entire city opens up for you to explore. When you book your vehicle through us here at CarRentals.com, you can use the money you save to buy souvenirs, have a nice meal, or even spend an extra day at the beach. Our San Diego car rental deals make it easier to have more cash for fun in the sun.