Where is North Rhine-Westphalia?
There's something to be said for traveling without a plan. But sometimes you have to know which way you're going. Before you turn the key in your rental car and zoom down the open road, it pays to know a few things about North Rhine-Westphalia. You'll need to book a plane ticket to Germany to get to this amazing destination.
What are the major attractions in North Rhine-Westphalia?
No road trip around North Rhine-Westphalia is complete without a few interesting detours along the way. When it comes to great attractions, we can steer you in the right direction. Your first port of call ought to be Cologne Cathedral, 0.2 miles from Cologne. Not just any old attraction, this well-known place captivates numerous visitors each and every year.
What are the best road trip destinations in North Rhine-Westphalia?
Adventure awaits around every twist and turn of this wonderful area. North Rhine-Westphalia is one of those special places where the journey is just as thrilling as every one of its beautiful destinations. With your own set of wheels, you can take as long or as little as you like discovering every one of its hidden treasures. Here are some of the most well-known regions to visit in this beautiful place:
- Essen (population of 593,100)
- Dortmund (population of 588,500)
- Wuppertal (population of 360,800)
- Bielefeld (population of 331,900)
How can I get a cheap car rental in North Rhine-Westphalia?
Avoid paying an arm and a leg for a rental car by following our top tips and tricks:
- Compare as many different cheap car rental companies as you can (we make that chore a pushover!);
- Take advantage of our Price Drop Alert service and immediately discover when prices become cheaper for your destination;
- Before you jump behind the wheel, check both airport and non-airport pickup and drop-off outlets to ensure you're scoring the cheapest deal in town;
- If your dates are not carved in stone, try getting a better deal by choosing different days in your search;
- If possible, keep the time of your pickup and drop-off as similar as possible. If you return your car later than you picked it up, you might be charged a full extra day;
- Some companies reward you for paying upfront — watch out for these penny-pinching deals;
- It's best to secure your booking as soon as your dates are finalized. You'll get the biggest selection early on.
What is the most popular rental car category in North Rhine-Westphalia?
Sometimes it's best to think small, particularly if you'll be hitting the lively streets of Essen and Dortmund. Economy rental cars are the top pick for travelers in North Rhine-Westphalia — and there's plenty to love about them. Zip around town easily, experience fantastic gas mileage, and save money. These affordable cars prove bigger doesn't always mean better!
It's always good to get out of the city for a while, and if you do, get ready to be richly rewarded. With mountains, lakes, and streams to explore, North Rhine-Westphalia knows how to do an exciting day trip. A larger vehicle like an SUV or a four-wheel drive will give you and your passengers more comfort and space for those longer scenic drives.
Should I get a luxury rental car in North Rhine-Westphalia?
You'll be pleased to hear that there's a broad range of both economy and luxury rental vehicles on offer in North Rhine-Westphalia. What you go for is largely dependent on how much you want to spend as well as what you plan to do. Specialty vehicles offer the best in comfort and class. If you want to treat yourself, why not pick up a high-end SUV, or perhaps a slick mid-size sedan? Otherwise, if you're just after something to zip around town in as efficiently as possible, you're better off going with a versatile compact vehicle (or something else that won't burn a hole in your wallet).