Tampa is the largest city in Hillsborough County, Florida, and it’s full of must-see attractions. Affectionately referred to as 'The Big Guava,' Tampa is located on the west coast of Florida near the Gulf of Mexico. The city’s close proximity to the Gulf means the inviting waters of Tampa Bay are warm year-round. There’s no better way to experience the sun and surf of The Big Guava than being able to get to the beautiful beaches with a cheap rental car in Tampa.
How can I get a cheap car rental in Tampa?
Take our advice below in order to bag yourself the best deal on a car rental:
- - Search and compare all the deals available;
- - Avoid picking up your vehicle from an airport, as this can be costly;
- - Have a rough idea of how much mileage you’ll need for your rental period;
- - Book as far ahead as possible.
Which car rental companies are situated in Tampa?
As well as the well-known companies like Sixt, Hertz, and Alamo, you can find a few smaller rental providers, too. Browse their inventory for the rental that best suits you.
What kind of car should I get in Tampa, Florida?
This very often depends on your vacation plans and the size of your travel group. Bringing the whole family? Browse our SUV and minivan rentals and you’ll never be short of leg room or luggage space. Solo traveler? Take to the road in a compact economy vehicle or treat yourself to a sporty convertible!
How old do I have to be to rent a car in Tampa?
By law, you will need to be 21 to rent a car, and under 25s may be required to pay a surcharge.
Do I need insurance to rent a car in Tampa, FL?
Yes. You can purchase insurance from the CarRentals.com checkout if you’re a U.S. citizen. Before you do, though, it’s advisable to ask your own car or credit card insurance provider if they cover you for rentals.
What fuel policy is available in Tampa?
Quite often, you’ll receive your vehicle with a full tank of fuel. The full-to-full policy means that you must return the rental with a full tank, too, so don’t forget to leave enough time to fill up!
Can I book with unlimited mileage when renting a car in Tampa, Florida?
Unlimited mileage is often the preferred choice and is widely available with CarRentals.com. If you opt for limited mileage, you’ll pay by the mile if you exceed the limit, so plan your journeys carefully.
Is it possible to hire a car one-way in Tampa?
Usually, yes. You might pay a surcharge for this, so check the rental company’s policy.
3 sights that you cannot miss in Tampa
Hop into your Tampa car rental and get ready to be dazzled:
- - Take in stunning views from the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, the ‘flag bridge’ of Florida;
- - Test your nerves on a roller coaster at Busch Gardens;
- - Visit the former cigar capital of the world in Ybor City, just under 3 miles from the downtown area.
3 great road trips from Tampa, Florida
As you’ve no doubt realized, Tampa’s urban sprawl is best negotiated with a car rental. You’ll find that exploring the Sunshine State is easy when you’ve got your own set of wheels:
- - Steer your rental car just over 20 miles west to check out St. Petersburg, home to the world-renowned Salvador Dali Museum, top-rated restaurants, and beautiful Fort De Soto Park;
- - Head 60 miles south to beautiful Sarasota, with its white-sand beaches and various shopping districts;
- - Jacksonville is just under a 4-hour drive from Tampa, and is northern Florida’s hidden gem, with its excellent golf courses and quieter beaches.
What is parking like in Tampa?
There are public parking facilities across Tampa, in the form of parking garages, city-owned lots, and on-street parking. Make sure you read the signs for time restrictions to avoid being towed or issued a fine.
When you book your rental car, don’t spend hours searching multiple websites for the best bargains. Here at CarRentals.com, we offer the cheapest prices on rental cars in Tampa from the nation’s top vendors. Find great deals when you book through us, and get your Tampa vacation started in style.