The San Francisco Bay Area is one of the most visited spots in the United States. With plenty to see and do around the region, it’s no wonder San Francisco ranks so high on lists of must-see places. However, San Francisco, like most of California, is most easily explored via car rental as opposed to public transit. That’s why we’re here to bring you the best cheap San Francisco car rentals.
How can I get a cheap car rental in San Francisco?
Take these easy steps to ensure you get the best rate on your car rental:
- - Compare rates before you reserve;
- - Don’t choose airport locations to pick up or drop off your vehicle;
- - Have an idea of how much fuel and/or mileage you need;
- - Search and book in advance.
Which car rental companies are situated in San Francisco?
The bigger companies like Sixt, Hertz, and Alamo have some great deals on rentals, but there are also some smaller providers you can get an excellent rate from. Do a comparison of rates and check reviews when browsing.
What kind of car should I get in San Francisco, California?
It’s up to you! Think about how much time you think you’ll be spending in the car and how much luggage you’ll be bringing. Are you bringing the whole family? Rent an SUV or a minivan for extra leg room. Traveling light? Then maybe you want to get from A to B in a smart convertible or a compact economy vehicle.
How old do I have to be to rent a car in San Francisco?
You must be at least 21 to rent a car. A surcharge may be added for drivers under the age of 25.
Do I need insurance to rent a car in San Fran?
Yes, you will need to be insured. Although your car or credit card insurance may cover renting a car, you can purchase insurance at the CarRentals.com checkout or from the rental company direct if you are a US citizen.
What fuel policy is available in San Francisco?
Many rentals come with a full-to-full fuel policy. The vehicle will have a full tank when you receive it, so remember to refill before handing it back.
Can I book with unlimited mileage when renting a car in San Francisco, California?
Many suppliers offer unlimited mileage, which can be the most convenient option if you’ve plenty of road trips planned. If you opt for limited mileage, be sure not to go over the limit and face extra costs.
Is it possible to hire a car one-way in SF?
Usually, yes, though additional fees could apply. The car rental company will be able to tell you specifically how much they charge for one-way rentals.
3 sights that you cannot miss in San Francisco
Some of the top spots for tourism in San Francisco, CA include:
- - Alcatraz, the former federal prison held the notorious prisoners Al Capone and Machine Gun Kelly. Book early as these tours sell out weeks in advance;
- - No visit to San Fran is complete without seeing the Golden Gate Bridge, the one-mile-wide suspension bridge and one of the Wonders of the Modern World;
- - San Francisco’s Chinatown is the largest outside of Asia, and well worth a visit for its diverse range of restaurants, markets, and temples.
3 great road trips from San Francisco, California
When you decide to rent a car, San Francisco is not the only spot in the area that you can explore:
- - Take your rental economy car about 200 miles north to explore the beauty of the Mendocino National Forest.
- - To see yet another stunning landmark, drive your rented SUV 170 miles east to Yosemite National Park.
- - Or, you could start your trip in Sacramento, the state capital, and see an entirely different portion of Northern California.
What is parking like in SF?
There are parking lots inside the city where you can pay to leave your car for the day while you check out the sights. Street parking could be more difficult to come across; if you do find a space on the street, check the signage for restrictions and cost.
CarRentals.com lets you find cheap rental cars throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Peruse the many options available through our site and pick the car best suited for your trip from one of the nation’s top vendors. CarRentals.com offers specialties like hybrid car rentals and luxury convertibles. Get the best prices by reserving your car rental in San Francisco today.