Perched by the wide, sparkling expanse of Lake Ontario, Rochester is a city with plenty of appeal, whether you want to soak up culture in one of the many museums and galleries, take in live shows, or use it as a gateway to explore the great outdoors. Either way, having a rental car will come in very handy during your visit to this part of the state.
How can I snap up a cheap car rental in Rochester?
CarRentals.com will allow you to find your ideal vehicle without putting a big dent in your vacation budget. To be absolutely sure you get the best, cheap price possible, try:
- - Taking your time to shop around various rental companies;
- - Only adding one driver for your rental car;
- - Checking the mileage and fuel policies;
- - Picking up your car at a branch away from the airport.
Which car rental companies are located in Rochester?
Whether you’re looking to book with Enterprise, Avis, Alamo, or other major car rental companies, you’ll find many of the big names right here in Rochester. It might be worth checking the user reviews online prior to making your final choice.
What type of rental car should I go for in Rochester, New York?
A number of different factors will determine what kind of vehicle is just right for you. Here are some potential picks that may tick your boxes:
|Car Type||Best for||Category includes|
|SUV||Larger groups of friends or family members||Ford Explorer, Hyundai Ix35, or similar|
|Economy car||Single visitors, couples, or smaller parties||Vauxhall Corsa, Toyota Yaris, or similar|
|Luxury||Romantic city-breakers and business visitors||Chrysler 300, Buick Lacrosse, or similar|
Is there an age restriction on rental cars in Rochester?
You’ll very likely have to be at least 21 to book and drive a rental car in Rochester. Those under 25 may also have to pay a surcharge.
Do I need to take out insurance for my Rochester car rental?
Perhaps – it really depends on your current car or credit card insurance, as it may already cover car rentals. If not, you can purchase the right kind of policy from the rental company or through the checkout on CarRentals.com.
What’s the recommended fuel policy for a car rental in Rochester?
There may be a choice of fuel policies on offer, but full-to-full is the all-round best. You get to pick up the car with a full tank of gas, and just have to refuel before bringing it back. If you forget, a fee will be charged.
Can I have unlimited mileage with Rochester car rentals?
This is certainly on offer, so double-check the policy before booking. Especially if you’re intending to go on longer day trips beyond Rochester itself.
Is one-way car rental feasible in Rochester?
Indeed, it is – just check the details of different pick-up and drop-off points, and confirm if extra fees apply for this kind of arrangement.
3 places to visit in Rochester
Having your own set of wheels in Rochester means you can quickly zip from attraction to attraction. Here are just a few you might like to check out:
- - Anyone with an interest in film and photography will be enraptured by the George Eastman Museum, which has a world-renowned collection of photos dating back centuries.
- - Drive to Seneca Park Zoo to walk on the wild side, with the local residents including majestic big cats, wise old owls, and coiling snakes.
- - Be inspired at the Rochester Museum & Science Center, with its exhibits on everything from the oceans to the human genome, as well as a mind-blowing planetarium.
3 road trips to take from Rochester
Hit the road with your rental car and take in these exciting destinations within easy driving distance of Rochester city center:
- - Drive westwards to get to one of the most fabled attractions in the region: the epic, cascading waters of Niagara Falls.
- - Culture vultures will want to make the day trip to nearby Buffalo, which is home to the masterpiece-crammed Albright-Knox Art Gallery.
- - Winter sports enthusiasts can drive south to Bristol Mountain, a major ski resort of upstate New York, with dozens of slopes to choose from.
What’s the Rochester parking situation?
Street parking can be found throughout Rochester – just remember to abide by the regulations and check which hours require payment. Alternatively, you can use one of the parking lots and garages dotted around the town.
All set to head up to the lakeside city of Rochester? Take time out from packing to pick your preferred vehicle on CarRentals.com, and you’ll soon be exploring this side of New York state at your leisure.