Richmond in Virgina is the center of an area that is known for history and tourism. As it’s located within a few hours’ drive of such oft-visited places as Washington D.C., Williamsburg, and Virginia Beach, it’s no wonder so many visitors use rental cars in Richmond to reach multiple cities in the area. However, Richmond itself is one of the best places to base your vacation, especially when you have a car from CarRentals.com.
How can I land a cheap car rental in Richmond?
There’s no reason to blow your budget on car rental for your Richmond visit. You can stay savvy by looking on CarRentals.com, which lays out the best, cheap options for every kind of traveler. Avoid paying more than you need to by:
- - Taking the time to weigh up different deals;
- - Not picking up your rental car from an airport-based branch;
- - Booking well ahead of your visit.
Which vehicle rental companies are in Richmond?
Numerous big names are available to rent from in Richmond. These include the likes of Avis, Alamo, and Budget. Before making your choice, take a few minutes to compare the latest customer reviews online.
What car type should I select in Richmond, Virginia?
There are numerous vehicles ready and waiting in Richmond, so it’s all down to your circumstances and budget. Here are just 3 types to think about:
|Car Type||Best for||Category includes|
|Economy car||Any visitors keeping to a tighter budget||Chevrolet Spark, Toyota Yaris, or similar|
|Hybrid||Any visitors keeping a cap on emissions and fuel charges||BMW 13, Toyota Prius, or similar|
|Minivan||Any larger groups of visitors||Chrysler Pacifica, Dodge Grand Caravan, or similar|
How old do I have to be for car rentals in Richmond?
On the whole, drivers need to be at least 21 to get behind the wheel of rental cars in Richmond. It’s also important to factor in surcharges if you happen to be under 25.
Do I need car insurance for my Richmond rental car?
You will, though your requirements may already be covered by your own car or credit card insurance. If not, don’t worry. You can rectify that in moments, by arranging the right insurance through the CarRentals.com checkout, or from the rental company itself.
What’s the most cost-effective fuel policy when visiting Richmond?
While different policies may be available, full-to-full fuel policies tend to work best. All you’ll have to do is reload the tank before returning the car, and there won’t be any hidden fees.
Should I specify unlimited mileage for my Richmond rental car?
If you’re keen to embark on trips to nearby cities, or just to want to go on scenic drives to enjoy the Virginia scenery, it’s important to check if your vehicle has unlimited mileage. That way, you can explore without worrying about being hit with any extra costs.
Can I rent my vehicle one-way in Richmond?
That should be fine. Just find out from your rental company what the logistics are for dropping your car off at a different branch, and bear in mind any surcharges that apply.
3 unmissable attractions in Richmond
With your own car rental, you can see all the local attractions without worrying about public transport. Here are some of the best to discover:
- - Immerse yourself in beautiful things at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, which is particularly noted for having the largest array of Faberge eggs in the United States.
- - Enter one of the most iconic buildings in America, the Virginia State Capitol, which was conceived by Thomas Jefferson and commands panoramic views.
- - Explore them mysterious life of a trailblazing American author by exploring the exhibits at the Edgar Allan Poe Museum.
3 road trips to take from Richmond
Richmond has plenty to keep you busy, but it would be a shame not to make full use of your rental car by heading out to see other destinations. Here are some ideas:
- - Drive northwards to the nation’s capital, Washington D.C., where you can visit presidential monuments as well as the mind-expanding marvels of the Smithsonian.
- - Head west to discover the lush realm of George Washington & Jefferson National Forests, a haven for photographers, hikers, and anyone after a lazy day in nature.
- - Take a leisurely drive east to the coast, and enjoy the quaint boardwalk and family-friendly attractions of Virginia Beach.
Is it easy to park a car in Richmond?
You certainly won’t struggle to find somewhere to park your rental car in Richmond. There are many street parking spots available – just be clear on the rates and time restrictions. Alternatively, you can leave your vehicle at one of the many parking lots and garages across town.
Ready to take in the historic and cultural landmarks of Richmond? Take care of your hire vehicle before you depart, through CarRentals.com, and you can get on with planning your itinerary and looking forward to a memorable visit to Virginia.