Thanks to the world-famous Indy 500 and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, this city has long been renowned for its purring motor cars. You can bag an engine of your own here with CarRentals.com, and set out to see the local attractions and outlying Midwestern wonders.
What’s the best way to bag bargain rental cars in Indianapolis?
Aside from using CarRentals.com to list the cheapest deals and most wallet-friendly car rental companies for your travel dates, you should:
- - Ensure you book early – prices can increase as cars get reserved;
- - Stick to just one driver on your policy;
- - Look to pick up your wheels at a city location, not at Indianapolis International Airport.
How many car rental companies are in Indianapolis?
You can pick from at least 10 different vendors, with the likes of Hertz, Alamo, Enterprise, and Budget all touting a number of locations around the Indiana state capital.
Are there specific types of cars on offer in Indianapolis?
Indianapolis is a big city, which means there’s a full cross-section of different cars in the offing. Some options you could go for are:
|Car Type||Best for||Category includes|
|Compact||Travelers who like simple cars that can get them from A to B in Indianapolis||Ford Focus, Nissan Versa, or similar|
|Full-size||Family travelers who want extra space as they head to Indy zoo||Ford Fusion, Chrysler 200, or similar|
|Convertible||Those who want to fit in with a snazzy sports car at the Motor Speedway||Volkswagen Beetle, Mazda Miata, or similar|
How old do I need to be to get a car rental in Indianapolis?
21 is normally the minimum age limit for car rentals across much of the United States. It’s no different in Indianapolis, and you might also have to pay an extra fee if you’re under 25. That’s typically calculated on a daily basis.
Is insurance needed to drive in Indianapolis?
It’s important you have insurance when renting a car in Indianapolis – even if you’re not competing in the high-octane Indy 500. It’s definitely worth checking to see if you’re already covered on an existing credit card or car policy, though, as it could save you a bunch.
What sorts of fuel policies can I pick in Indianapolis?
There’s likely to be a few fuel policies, though CarRentals.com recommends opting for full-to-full. It’s the simplest and fairest of the lot, asking drivers to return their vehicle with the same amount of gas they started with. Don’t forget to do it, though, or there’ll be a fee.
Can I go for an Indianapolis car rental with unlimited mileage?
That should be possible. If you’re planning long jaunts across the Midwest – up to Chicago, or across to the Great Lakes, for example – then you might need to ensure you can cover distances without any extra charges.
Are one-way hire options on the menu in Indianapolis?
If you’re keen to leave behind Indy and do a cross-Midwest adventure, a one-way car hire will let you pick up and drop off your auto at different spots. With so many outlets in the Indiana capital, it’s likely you’ll find a company that does offer it – just be sure to check they have somewhere to leave the wheels at your final destination.
The top 3 attractions in Indianapolis
Rental car at the ready? Great. It’s time to hit some must-see sights in Indianapolis. Here are 3 to try:
- - Take young ones to the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, which is supposed to be the largest exhibit of its kind in the world, offering dinosaur bones and star-spangled planetarium shows alike.
- - Get wild at the Indianapolis Zoo – a place to encounter African elephants, curious giraffes, colorful macaws, stalking tigers, bottlenose dolphins, and waddling penguins.
- - Enjoy an adrenalin rush at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, where one of the most legendary racing tracks in America makes its home.
3 day trip outings to make from Indianapolis
With a rental car at your beck and call, Indianapolis the city isn’t the only place to explore. Here are some options for those wanting to drive out elsewhere:
- - Drive north for 3 hours to the Windy City of Chicago, where the soaring Willis Tower looms over the buzzing blocks of The Loop.
- - Go south to the Hoosier National Forest, a land of oak-clad, chestnut-sprouting hills with waterfalls and horse-riding trails.
- - Head north-west to Morse Reservoir, a favorite escape for Indy locals in the hot summer months.
What about parking places in Indianapolis?
There’s usually a charge if you want to park in Downtown Indianapolis, not to mention a dearth of spaces at the busiest times of the day. That said, there are several garages where you can usually find a spot to rest the wheels, along with park-and-ride options close to Indianapolis International Airport.
Ready to hit the wild Indy zoo and the roaring Speedway? CarRentals.com has hire cars of all shapes and sizes in this state capital, so book your auto now and get to exploring the buzzing heart of the Midwest.