Aloha and welcome to Hawaii. Hilo is located on the Big Island and is home to picturesque shorelines, rainforests, and volcanic parks, as well as human-crafted attractions. Get a taste of island life with your very own Hilo car rental.
How can I bag a cheap rental vehicle in Hilo?
You can make Hawaii your oyster with your own set of wheels. The best, cheap deals are clearly laid out on CarRentals.com, and to ensure you don’t pay over the odds you should:
- - Carefully compare the prices available;
- - Avoid airport pick-ups, which can be pricier;
- - Book as far in advance as you can.
Which car rental companies will I find in Hilo?
Many well-known names in car rental have branches in Hilo – these include the likes of Enterprise, Hertz, and Alamo. To make a truly informed decision, it’s always a good idea to read the customer reviews online before choosing.
What kind of car should I get in Hilo, Hawaii?
This really comes down to how many of you there are, how much you want to spend, and the kind of all-round experience you’re after. Here are just some examples:
|Car Type||Best for||Category includes|
|Economy car||Cost-conscious couples looking for a no-frills way to get from A to B||Chevrolet Spark, Vauxhall Corse, or similar|
|Convertible||Sun-lovers who want to feel the rays on their skin and wind in their hair in Hawaii||VW Beetle, Chevy Camaro Convertible, or similar|
|12-passenger van||Big groups of friends or family who want to see the Big Island in comfort||Ford Transit, Sprinter, or similar|
How old do I have to be to rent a vehicle in Hilo?
Generally speaking, drivers have to be 21 or over. There may also be a surcharge for anyone under 25.
Do I need to consider insurance when renting a car in Hilo?
Car insurance will be needed for driving in Hilo. Check if your own car or credit card insurance works for rentals in Hawaii. Otherwise, you can simply purchase a policy – either through CarRentals.com or from the rental company itself.
What kind of fuel policy is available in Hilo?
Different fuel policies may be available, though the one most drivers will prefer is a full-to-full arrangement. This means the car comes with a fully loaded tank, and you just have to remember to replenish it before bringing it back.
Can I book a rental car with unlimited mileage in Hilo, Hawaii?
When booking your vehicle, it’s worth having an idea of how much you’ll be using it. Lots of road trips on your agenda? Be sure your car comes with unlimited mileage, or you’ll rack up extra fees.
Can I hire a car one-way in Hilo?
One-way rentals will be available, but do check with the rental company about how it will work, and how much extra it might cost.
3 sights you mustn’t miss in Hilo
Hilo is one of the big attractions of the Big Island, so don’t miss out on some of its top draws. Here’s some sightseeing inspiration:
- - Have an out-of-this-world experience at the ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center, where the fascinating exhibits and large planetarium will unveil the cosmos as well as the history of Hawaii.
- - Take in the glittering shoreline by taking your rental car along Banyan Drive, which is lined by vast, resplendent trees planted by the likes of Amelia Earhart, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Cecil B. DeMille.
- - See more of the Hawaii coast with a drive to Onekahakaha Beach Park, where you can sit back with a picnic and treat the kids to calm, shallow Pacific waters.
3 great road trips from Hilo, Hawaii
As you’ll have the means to drive and explore, why not get out and see more of the Big Island while you’re here? Try these destinations, all easily reached from Hilo:
- - Just to the south-west of Hilo lies Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, where you can gasp at the dramatic, volcanic landscape and take the famous Crater Rim Drive.
- - Head north of Hilo for the natural spectacle of ‘Akaka Falls State Park, which boasts a tall, cascading waterfall and verdant greenery to explore on foot.
- - Explore Hawaiian history by driving to the west coast of the island to visit Hulihe‘e Palace, a remnant from the old Kingdom of Hawaii, which is now a fascinating museum.
Is there parking available in Hilo?
Street parking is available in Hilo, though it can get busy so it’s always best to start your day’s sightseeing as early as possible. Parking lot spaces can also be found in the area, which may be more convenient.
With so much natural grandeur to see, from waterfalls to glittering Pacific coastlines, not to mention the steaming lava flows, it makes sense to book a vehicle with CarRentals.com so you can see it all. With your preferred car reserved in advance, you’ll be sure to tick off everything on your to-see list.