Renting a car in Germany is the most convenient way to see all the sights and attractions of Deutschland. From the mountains of the Alps to the shores of the Baltic Sea, discover Germany behind the wheel of your own rental car. This way, you’ll be able to tour the metropolitan areas of Frankfurt and Hamburg and still have access to the ethereal Black Forest.
How can I get a cheap car rental in Germany?
When planning your travels in Germany, you can arrange local transportation from the comfort of your own home thanks to CarRentals.com. Here, you can browse cheap deals and make the right choice for you. And, to keep to a tight budget, it helps to:
- - Research and compare various rates for your preferred vehicle type;
- - Avoid pick-ups at airports;
- - Reserve your car rental at least a week before jetting off.
What do I have to keep in mind when renting a car in Germany?
Remember to pack your driver’s license, as you’ll certainly need it when picking up and driving your rental car in Germany. You should also have the credit card used to make the booking.
What Germany car rental companies are good?
You can book a vehicle with many of the world’s best-known rental companies in Germany. Alamo, Sixt, Avis, and numerous other big names are all here. You can also choose to go with a local firm – just be sure to check the online user reviews beforehand.
What kind of car should I get in Germany?
All kinds of vehicles can be browsed for and booked on CarRentals.com, so it’s really up to you:
- - Minivans or SUVs are great for larger groups, or keeping comfy on longer road trips;
- - Economy cars are ideal for lone travelers and couples, or city-set vacations.
How old do I have to be to rent a car in Germany?
Many rental companies will allow drivers as young as 18 to hire a vehicle. It’s important to check if a surcharge applies to those below a certain age, though.
Do I need insurance to rent a car in Germany?
You do need insurance, and it could be that your current car or credit card insurance policy provides cover for rental cars in Germany. Check this beforehand. Alternatively, you can purchase insurance at the CarRentals.com checkout, or from the rental company.
Can I book with unlimited mileage when renting a car in Germany?
If you want to hop between cities or take in the rolling, natural splendor of the country without worrying about paying extra for the privilege, just check whether unlimited mileage is provided with your vehicle. Otherwise you may end up paying more than you expected for your trip.
Can I use a debit card for a Germany car rental?
Generally speaking, a credit card will be necessary for booking a rental car in Germany. However, some rental companies may have some provision for debit cards, if you check beforehand.
Is it possible to hire a car one-way in Germany?
If you don’t really want to bring the car back to the same branch you picked it up from, you can look into a one-way rental instead. Check with your rental company about how this would work, and if any extra fees are involved.
3 sights/cities you cannot miss in Germany
From urban playgrounds to sweeping rustic grandeur, there’s a lot to discover in Germany with your car rental. Get behind the wheel and head to these must-sees:
- - Discover one of the coolest cities in Europe with a trip to Berlin, where you can visit landmarks like the Brandenburg Gate, and get stuck into the legendary, bohemian nightlife.
- - Feel like you’ve entered a fairy tale with a visit to Neuschwanstein Castle, one of the lavish palaces of Ludwig II of Bavaria, and an inspiration for Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty castle.
- - See a European architectural masterpiece by making a beeline for Cologne Cathedral, whose Gothic spires are an icon of the nation.
What is a good road trip around Germany?
One of the best ways to soak up some of the prettiest parts of Germany is by driving along the aptly-named Romantic Road. It runs from Wurzburg in northern Bavaria to Fussen in the south, and will take you to quaint medieval towns, Bavarian castles, and ornate churches. With your rental car you can explore the various stops at your leisure, and get a real taste of traditional German culture.
What activities is Germany especially good for?
Anyone with a hankering for “old Europe” will be in their element in Germany. With your own set of wheels, you can set out for cozy, tucked-away towns full of Bavarian charm, visiting beer halls and Gothic religious buildings. Germany is also renowned for its nightlife, with Berlin a hotbed of creativity and after-hours hedonism. Outdoorsy types will also relish a visit – drive your rental car to the Black Forest to bask in verdant, lush scenery straight out of picture books.
3 traffic tips to keep you safe
- - When cruising along the famous Autobahn, remember that passing other vehicles on the right is strictly forbidden.
- - While long stretches of the Autobahn have unrestricted speed limits, others do have speed guidelines and it’s important to be aware of these for safety’s sake.
- - Take regular breaks to ensure you stay alert whilst driving on the Autobahn.