Immerse yourself in Southern hospitality with a rental car in Charleston. Having your own set of wheels means you can explore this grand old city and South Carolina at your leisure, visiting Civil War-era landmarks as well as the atmospheric and romantic French Quarter, and discovering the best places to eat and while away the evenings.
What’s the best way to find cheap Charleston car rentals?
You can arrange to have your own vehicle in Charleston without paying over the odds, simply by using CarRentals.com. A whole variety of great, cheap deals will be laid out for you to consider, and if you want to be extra-sure of the best rate, you should:
- - Make time to shop around;
- - Be clear on the fuel policy for your potential vehicle;
- - Avoid picking the car up at an airport branch of the rental company.
What are the car rental companies in Charleston?
You’re spoilt for choice when it comes to rental companies in this neck of the woods. Several big names are to be found in Charleston, including Avis, Alamo, and Enterprise. When comparing them, it’s a good idea to also check the user reviews online.
What vehicle type should I pick in Charleston?
It’s completely down to how much you’re looking to spend, and what kind of trip you have in mind. Here are some options, to give you an idea of what’s available:
|Car Type||Best for||Category includes|
|Luxury||Couples here for a romantic city break||Chrysler 300, Camaro, or similar|
|Full-size SUV||Larger groups needing space for luggage on road trips||Ford Edge, BMW X3, or similar|
|Economy car||Cost-cutting couples and smaller groups||Chevrolet Spark, Vauxhall Corsa, or similar|
Is there a minimum age for car rental drivers in Charleston?
The majority of rental companies will expect drivers to be 21 or over. There may also be an added charge for anyone lucky enough to be under 25.
Should I purchase car insurance for a rental car in Charleston?
That depends on whether your pre-existing car or credit card insurance covers rental vehicles. If so, great. If not, you’ll simply need to buy the right kind of policy – either through the checkout at CarRentals.com, or via the rental company.
What’s the best fuel policy for me in Charleston?
Look for a full-to-full fuel policy. This is a simple arrangement – you pick up the car, enjoy it during your visit, and just need to remember to fill the tank back up before returning it. That way, there won’t be any complications or added costs.
Is unlimited mileage desirable for my visit to Charleston?
There’s certainly a lot to see in this bastion of old world, Southern charm. And, particularly if you want to fit some day trips into your visit, it’s important to check you have the freedom to roam in your rental car without incurring extra costs. Unlimited mileage should be readily available, but confirm it’s the case before booking.
Can I rent one-way in Charleston?
Yes – just check how this would work with your rental company. There may be several drop-off points on offer, and a surcharge may be added.
3 memorable attractions in Charleston
You won’t need to waste time waiting for public transport when you have your own set of wheels in Charleston. Here are just some of the places you can drive to and enjoy:
- - See one of the most famous parts of Charleston by taking a tour of the French Quarter, with its historic churches, colorful houses, and charming boutiques.
- - Breathe in the fresh air and enjoy views of Charleston at Waterfront Park, which will appeal to couples and families alike.
- - Visit Fort Sumter, the sea fort where the American Civil War began, which remains a poignant landmark of that tumultuous time.
3 day trip ideas for a stay in Charleston
Want to really pack in the activities during your visit? Get behind the rental car wheel and head to these tempting destinations:
- - Drive down to the coastal hotspot of Edisto Beach, a perfect place to kick back on the shores with your family, go fishing, or embark on eco-tours.
- - Enjoy another city suffused with Southern charm by driving southwards to Savannah, Georgia, land of horse-drawn carriages and antebellum extravagance.
- - Go north to visit Myrtle Beach, where you’ll find smooth sands, plush golf courses, and plenty of restaurants to relax in.
What’s parking like in Charleston?
Charleston may be a quaint, historic place, but it still has plenty of places to park your rental vehicle. Metered, street parking spots are available, though you should check time restrictions on these. Parking garages and lots are also dotted around the major attractions, which is convenient for sightseers.
Eager to soak up the Southern charm of Charleston? Check out the offers on CarRentals.com to secure your ideal vehicle, and you’ll soon be exploring the architectural beauty and coastal gems of South Carolina.