Birmingham puts the “bam” in Alabama. Travel through the largest city in the state with your very own set of rental wheels, and you can visit attractions ranging from sprawling, scenic parklands to exhibits that tell the epic story of the Civil Rights movement, all without having to worry about public transportation.
How do I find the best Birmingham rental car deal?
Thanks to CarRentals.com, it’s no big deal getting a cheap deal on car rentals in Birmingham. The most cost-effective deals will be clearly laid out for you to peruse, and – if keeping spending low is your priority – you should try to:
- - Take the time to shop around, comparing rates;
- - Add just the one driver;
- - Plan and book your rental car well before arriving.
Which rental car companies are in Birmingham?
You’ll have your pick of car rental companies in this neck of the woods. The likes of Alamo, Hertz, and Enterprise all offer a range of vehicles to choose from. Just remember to check online reviews before making your final decision.
What kind of vehicle is best for my Birmingham, Alabama trip?
With the sheer variety of vehicles on offer, you can opt for cars big and small, luxurious or economical. Here are just 3 types that may appeal, depending on your circumstances:
|Car Type||Best for||Category includes|
|Economy car||Visitors keeping to a tight budget||Chevrolet Spark, Vauxhall Corse, or similar|
|Full-size SUV||Larger groups needing comfort and luggage space||Ford Edge, KIA Sorento, or similar|
|Convertible||Sightseers wanting to soak up the weather and scenery||Chevy Camaro, VW Beetle Convertible, or similar|
How old should I be in order to rent a car in Birmingham?
As far as most rental car companies are concerned, you’ll need to be at least 21. There may also be an added charge for drivers under 25.
Is insurance obligatory for rental cars in Birmingham?
It is, so it’s necessary to check if your car or credit card insurance covers car rentals. If it doesn’t, you can arrange the right policy through your chosen car rental company, or via the checkout on CarRentals.com.
What’s the recommended fuel policy in Birmingham?
While various policies may be on offer, you’ll probably want to opt for full-to-full. This means you drive away with a vehicle with a full tank of gas, and are simply expected to stop off somewhere to refuel before returning it.
Do rental vehicles in Birmingham come with unlimited mileage?
Many do, and it’s very handy to have no limits on travel if you’re looking to head on day trips into the rest of Alabama, or just expect to be zipping around a lot in Birmingham itself.
Are one-way rentals allowed in Birmingham?
Yes, though you’ll have to check the technicalities with your rental company. You should also bear some possible additional fees in mind.
3 Birmingham must-sees
When drawing up your agenda for Birmingham, you may want to include some of these famous places:
- - Take in the scenery at Ruffner Mountain Nature Reserve, an urban oasis with miles of mountain trails ideal for runners and hikers.
- - Visit the “Showplace of the South” with a night at the Alabama Theatre, which dates back to 1927 and still wows the crowds with guided tours and live performances.
- - Be enlightened at the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, where detailed exhibits take you on a journey through the struggle for equality in the United States.
3 road trips to take when in Birmingham
To really make the most of having your own set of wheels, head out to these destinations from your base in Birmingham:
- - See another great city by heading east to Atlanta, Georgia, where you can enter the World of Coca-Cola or see the ethereal creatures at the Georgia Aquarium.
- - Drive north-west to the grand metropolis of Memphis, where Graceland and the National Civil Rights Museum are just a few of the iconic landmarks.
- - Delve into greenery at the Holly Springs National Forest, where pine forests and glistening lakes provide an ideal contrast to city life.
How’s the parking in Birmingham?
A generous range of parking lots and garages mean you won’t be stuck for places to leave your rental car when in Birmingham. On top of that, metered street parking is a convenient option – but remember to abide by time restrictions to avoid penalty fees.
All set to explore this historic city in Alabama? By booking your vehicle well ahead of time on CarRentals.com, you’ll be certain of a great deal on price, and be all set to pick up your ideal car once you get here.