One of the cradles of Western civilization, Athens will leave history buffs starry-eyed with its resplendent ruins from the days of the ancients. With a rental car at your disposal, you’ll also be able to seek out contemporary urban excitement, and head out to see more of Greece while you’re here.
How can I arrange for a cheap car rental in Athens?
Want to have your ideal vehicle waiting for you when you get to Athens? Make it happen by browsing and booking on CarRentals.com, which will present a range of cost-effective options for you. To ensure you get the best possible deal, try to:
- - Take time to shop around between rival deals;
- - Only add one driver for your rental car;
- - Book as far ahead of your trip to Greece as you can.
Which rental companies can I book with in Athens?
Many major names can be found in the Greek capital, from Sixt and Budget to Avis and Alamo. Whichever you’re tempted by, have a quick look at the newest customer reviews online before making your decision.
What type of car rental should I opt for in Athens, Greece?
Eager to discover Athens? You’ll want to get the exact right kind of vehicle for you, and here are just some of the options available:
|Car Type||Best for||Category includes|
|Economy car||Couples who just need a cheap way to whiz around the city||Toyota Yaris, Vauxhall Corsa, or similar|
|SUV||Plenty of space and comfort for larger groups||Audi Q7, Ford Escape, or similar|
|4x4||Epic road trips across the greater Greek landscape||Hyundai Santa Fe, L4 Nissan Pathfinder, or similar|
How old do drivers have to be for Athens car rentals?
The usual minimum age for booking and using rental cars in Greece is 21. You may also have to pay a higher rate if you happen to be under 25.
What do I have to keep in mind when renting a car in Athens?
If you’re eager to get out and explore much more of Greece than just Athens itself, it’s worth investing in a hardy 4x4 or SUV to tackle any rough and rugged roads.
Do I need to arrange car insurance for renting in Athens?
You will need to look into insurance. It could be the case your current car insurance or credit card insurance is not valid for rentals in Greece, in which case you can take out the right policy through CarRentals.com or your chosen car rental company.
What fuel policy is ideal for an Athens rental car?
Full-to-full fuel policies are ideal for most drivers, as you won’t have to pay over the odds – as long as you remember to refuel the gas tank before returning your car at the end of your rental period.
Do I get unlimited mileage with an Athens rental car?
Check this with your rental company, as having no limits on how far you can drive will make it far more affordable to roam and explore as much of Greece as you like.
Is one-way rental feasible in Athens?
Ask the rental company about the practical aspects of one-way rental, and which drop-off points are available. There may be an extra cost for this set-up.
3 essential attractions in Athens
Get behind the wheel of your rental car and head out to these landmarks that will make your time in Athens unforgettable:
- - No visit to Athens would be complete without a tour of the Acropolis, whose majestic ruins include the pillars of the Parthenon.
- - The most charming quarter in Athens is Plaka – here, you’ll enter a village-like atmosphere, with cute shops, buzzing tavernas, and fascinating museums.
- - Take the epic walk up Mount Lycabettus for unbeatable views across the city – there’s a cable car available if you’d rather take it easy.
3 day trip destinations close to Athens
Feel like going out and about, beyond the city itself? It’s easy with your own set of wheels, so here are just some ideas:
- - Take the scenic, coastal drive south to Cape Sounion, where the marble columns of the Temple of Poseidon beg to be photographed against the backdrop of the Aegean.
- - Go westwards to Delphi, one of the most legendary sites of Ancient Greece, and home to the famous Oracle of Delphi, whose relics still inspire awe today.
- - Drive eastwards to the coastal resort of Artemida, known for its family-friendly, sandy beach, and blissful atmosphere.
How is the parking in Athens?
There’s no denying Athens is a busy city, but the good news is there are a good number of parking lots you can make use of. Street parking is also a possibility, though spots may be hard to come by during working hours.
Prepare to experience the bustle and historic grandeur of the Greek capital. Search and book your preferred vehicle right now on CarRentals.com, and look forward to ticking off all the sights on your Athens itinerary.